jeanhar1@zazzle.com

Saturday, June 1, 2013

Narcissus, water painting

New painting for the Element Art Exhibit
I am painting five paintings for an exhibit coming up in August 2013 at the Northeastern Nevada Museum.
The group 4womenart, has come up with a theme of "Elements", water, air, fire, earth, and spirit.
Here is my Water painting,
Please enjoy my artwork.
Narcissus
32" x 36"
Acrylic
Jean Hart



In my studies of Greek Mythology I came across this story of Narcissus. I felt it was the perfect subject for a water painting. Although, I have made Narcissus and woman, I feel that this emotional state can just as easily be a woman's issue.
Narcissus -- in Greek mythology, the son of the river god Cephissus and the nymph Leiriope; he was distinguished for his beauty. His mother was told that he would have a long life, provided he never looked upon his own features. His rejection, however, of the love of the nymph Echo or of his lover AmeiniasThe story may have derived from the ancient Greek superstition that it was unlucky or even fatal to see one's own reflection. In psychiatry and especially psychoanalysis, the term narcissism denotes an excessive degree of self-esteem or self-involvement, a condition that is usually a form of emotional immaturity.

-- Encyclopedia Brittanica
 
Be Insired,
~Jean
www.zazzle.com/jeanhar1*

No comments:

Post a Comment