jeanhar1@zazzle.com

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Technical Tuesday-horse drawing

Tuesday Technical Day
Where I live in Elko, Nevada we have a whole week of Cowboy events.
It's called Cowboy Poetry.
So in honor of that, I thought it would be fun to learn how to draw a horse.
I found a exercise that looks pretty easy to follow along. The exercise is by Eileen Sorg.
I have not painted many horses, in fact I think I have only done one. Animals have a different structure to them and so I think it is important to understand their anatomy.
Here we will study the head of a horse.
  1. Shade the muzzle, nostril, and eye with blue-gray; then add blush pink to areas on the muzzle and nose. Lightly stroke orange on the upper part of the face and nose, as well as around the muzzle, jaw, and neck. Use heavier pressure for the inner ear, mane, and eyelashes.
  2. Fill in the rest of the head and neck with brown, avoiding the orange areas. Trace the outline of the eye with dark brown.
  3. Apply dark brown over the brown along the base of the mane, behind the ear and jaw, and around the eye. Fill in the iris with the same color. Use black to deepen shadows and to fill in more of the eye, mouth, and nostril. Finally, add highlights to the mane and nose with yellow.
Have fun with this exercise. Go slow, and practice, practice, practice.
Be Inspired,
~Jean

No comments:

Post a Comment