jeanhar1@zazzle.com

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Auguste Renoir

Auguste Renoir
1880-1881
 
Renoir is one of my favorite artist. If I had a dinner party he would sit to my right.
Auguste Renoir painting, Luncheon of the Boating Party, oil on canvas, 1881
Here is a little of what I know about this painting.
Back then artists painted the people they knew, family and friends.
The story of the Luncheon of the Boating Party by Auguste Renoir is a snapshot of leisure time with his friends taking a lunch break on the banks of the Seine River in France.
The focus of the painting is on the two prominent people nearest the viewer. The young women holding the dog, will nine years later become his wife. She is a recurring subject in many of his paintings. She is a seamstress and depicts domestic life and is often  featured with their children.
The man with the straw hat sitting casually at the right is Gustave Caillebotte, a fellow Impressionist painter.
The painting Luncheon of the Boating Party made its debut in an exhibit in Pairs in 1882.
I love spending time looking at this painting.
 Explore the people, who is looking at whom. What is their relationship to one another.
If I had a chance to go back in time, I should like to be a part of this party.
It is such a favorite of mine that I hope to soon have a print hanging in my dinning room.
Be Inspired,
~jean
Here is the painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment