jeanhar1@zazzle.com

Sunday, September 24, 2017

Creative life A thru Z ~ Lets Get Cooking

Creative Life
A thru Z
Let's Get Cooking

This week Fall came in like a tiger!!
Cold Rains, Snow, and Morning Fog!!
Baby, it's cold outside, so lets make soup. 
I'm cooking out of the 
The Soup Bible book. 
I turned the page for this weeks soup. 
BACON POTATO CHOWDER
As I read through the recipe, I noticed that this recipe used 
condensed cream of potato soup. 
Well, I'm trying to learn to cook with fresh ingredients. 
So, with the inspiration of this weeks soup I went off recipe a bit. 
I will give you the Soup Bible books recipe, and in italics you will read what I did.   

Fresh, fresh, fresh ingredients.  

Truly is there anything more fun then whisking? 

Homemade Bacon Potato Chowder, with a glass of Pinot Griss Rose from France

Dessert, camel apples 

Bacon Potato Chowder 

4 slices of bacon, 
( I did a pound of bacon)
1 large onion, chopped
4 cans ( 10 3/4 ounces each) Campbells's Condensed Cream of Potato Soup
( I did not add this)
4 soup cans milk 
( I added 2/3 cups milk, you can substitute almond milk if you want)
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 large russet potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch pieces. 
(I did not do this)
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup chopped fresh chives 
( I added , one large leek,  4 stalks celery, 6 Brussels sprouts, 1 can Great Northern white beans, 
8 cups of chicken broth,2 2/3 cups water,  2 cups dried potatoes with 1/4 cup butter )
Part of this recipe came from the 
Betty Crocker cookbook. 
So, it's a combination of the Soul Bible, Betty Croker and ME. 

Steps.
1. In 2 quart saucepan, heat water, butter and salt to boiling over medium high heat. Remove from heat. Stir in milk and potatoes just until moistened. Let stand about 30 seconds or until liquid is absorbed, whip with fork, set aside. 
2. In 6 quart heavy stockpot, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Use slotted spoon to transfer bacon to paper towels, leaving drippings in stockpot. Add onion and pepper and celery to stockpot. Cook 4 to 5 minutes or until onions are translucent and lightly browned. Add potatoes and broth to stockpot. Beat with whisk until ingredients are will combined. Continue to cook until heated through. 
3. Transfer soup to bowls. Top with bacon, cheese and green onion. 
This will make 8 servings. 

Enjoy
Be Inspired, 
~jean 
I invite you to my original art online store, 
"Fine Art For The Finer Things In Life" 

No comments:

Post a Comment