jeanhar1@zazzle.com

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

The Making of an Artist

The Making of an Artist
 
Interview with Artist
Jean Hart
I love checking in with my email. Here is a question I am often asked.
 
How do you define yourself as an Artist?
 
First I would say, be kind to yourself. You well change as an artist as often as you learn something new.
Go Slow....Take on only what you feel comfortable with.
Remember too that each of us are at a different level of skills so stop comparing yourself to others.
I am self taught with just a few art classes. My first exhibit into the public arena was the County Fair in my home town. Judged and out there for all to see. Remove your ego, because not everyone will like your artwork or understand it. I registered as a armature but after two years and because I sold a few paintings they defined me as a professional!!!!
I have learned in the last ten years that there is really no one way to become a professional.
Every artist finds their own way.
It's really up to you how you want to be seen as an artist.
Hobbyist, armature, professional.
Just decide if becoming an artist will add the beauty, excitement, and quality to the life you image being an artist will do. In reality, its a lot of hard work. Once the decision is made,
 Make the Commitment.
 Take a few classes, workshop, read art books and watch movies. Don't be afraid to let people see your work. Also, don't be afraid to have it critiqued or judged.
 (This is where the real growth happens).
Establish Goals, National Fame does not come to us overnight, nor should it.
Be realistic, maybe say "This is the year I enter one contest. One exhibit. Or try to join in and be accepted to the American Society Show.
 Goals are only there to help you stay focused and under no account do they measure you as an artist. Only you can do that.
Be Inspired,
~Jean

No comments:

Post a Comment